Simple Graphic Paint Technique

8:06 AM

Paint is probably one of the cheapest ways to decorate a room.  And one of the easiest!  But if you really want to make a BOLD statement you could try this.


Best of all, it's really simple to do.  All you need is:

2 different paints
various sizes of painters tape
paint roller
paint brush

Now, I won't bore you with a before picture (maybe I don't really have one.)  So I'll just jump in.  Once you have the wall painted with your first base color I taped a frame around the wall with a 2" tape.  Then just go to town putting tape on the walls, there's no rhyme or reason to it.  It is a good idea though to look along the tape to make sure it doesn't curve so you have nice straight lines.  Make sure to step back every few lines of tape to visually keep it balanced.  That way you don't have one section that has a lot of lines and another that is pretty bare.  


Once you have a patter to your liking I would suggest going over your tape with your base color.  I didn't do that and there are bleed marks.  Oh well, you can't really see them until your right in front of the wall.  But with or without that extra coat of your base color go ahead and paint your accent color over the whole thing.


Then start pulling that tape off the wall.  Once finished it should look something like this.  I think it would also look cool with less contrasting paints.


The best thing about painting a design like this is how easy it will be to cover it up when we're ready for a different look.  

Do you have an interesting pattern you've achieved with tape?  I'd love to see what you've done.

Join my flickr group and share you projects here!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. What the heck? This is so freaking AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to make it in my new room...:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love comments, they're the best!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner